Monday, July 15, 2013


Quick, Fast & Express

The faith of Christ offers no buttons to push for quick service. The new order must wait the Lord's own time, and that is too much for the man in a hurry. He just gives up and becomes interested in something else.  A.W. Tozer
I have a debit card like most people these days and have you noticed how quickly a retailer can get your money when you use a debit card.  I went to get gas on my way to work the other day.  The Quik Trip is not far from my office so that is where I went to get gas. Getting gas quick is not the only thing quick about it.

When I arrived at the office I needed to transfer money so I logged in to transfer money from my bank account and the charge for gas had beat me to the office.  I can remember when debit cards didn’t exist so it could take anywhere from 5 to 10 days for the check to clear your bank, then the pony express to deliver the check to the other banking institution and then someone manually entered it into the system. 
We are into quick, fast and express aren’t we?  We drive by the bank and get quick cash, McDonald’s for fast food, the microwave for an express meal and we drive in the fast lane.  What does this mean for us as we live our lives every day in the fast lane?  It means we don’t have time to be patient, or kind or even polite. 

We have lost the ability to sit still.  If we aren’t able to sit still long enough to wait for a meal or care for another person, we have lost the very thing that gives us the ability to do for God what he calls us to do.  How can we care for other people and show them who God really is if we aren’t able to slow down and see that they are in need? 
Our life on earth is but a short stop on this journey.  How we spend our time here will either reflect God or it will reflect a life spent in the fast lane.  Will our legacy be that people remembered us as a person who took the time to care for others or will we be remembered for how many things we were able to get done in the shortest amount of time?  When I die I would like others to remember a person who cared and didn’t hesitate to show it.  

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am guilty of getting in the fast lane and before I know it I am not even thinking about the people around me.  I pray that you will help me to slow down and look for opportunities to show You to those around me.  I can’t do that if I stay in the fast lane.       
Scripture:  “If there is among you a poor man of your brethren, within any of the gates in your land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart nor shut your hand from your poor brother, but you shall open your hand wide to him and willingly lend him sufficient for his need, whatever he needs.  Beware lest there be a wicked thought in your heart, saying, ‘The seventh year, the year of release, is at hand,’ and your eye be evil against your poor brother and you give him nothing, and he cry out to the Lord against you, and it becomes sin among you.  You shall surely give to him, and your heart should not be grieved when you give to him, because for this thing the Lord your God will bless you in all your works and in all to which you put your hand.  For the poor will never cease from the land; therefore I command you, saying, ‘You shall open your hand wide to your brother, to your poor and your needy, in your land.  Deuteronomy 15:7-11

No comments:

Post a Comment