Wednesday, July 17, 2013


Which Character Would You Choose?
God is not looking for extraordinary characters as His instruments, but He is looking for humble instruments through whom He can be honored throughout the ages.  A.B. Simpson

If you could choose any character in the Bible besides God, Jesus & the Holy Spirit which one would you choose? 
I started thinking about this on my way to work and I started running through the list in my head.  Would you choose Moses?  Moses was quite a character.  He was a Hebrew raised by Pharaoh’s daughter in a wealthy household.  He murdered an Egyptian and Pharaoh wanted to kill him.  He saw God in a burning bush and he was sent by God to convince Pharaoh to let the Israelites go.  Can you imagine returning to the scene of the crime to appear before someone who wants you dead?  From all accounts Moses was not the best public speaker.  God chose Aaron to be Moses’ mouthpiece.  I think Moses wouldn’t be my choice.

The next character I thought about was David.  He was a brave and mighty warrior even at a young age.  He killed a giant with a rock and a slingshot.  That’s bravery.  But he also spent years running from Saul, lusted after another man’s wife and killed the man so he could have her.  I don’t think David would be my choice either.
So I moved on to Joseph.  He was Jacob’s favorite son and his brothers knew it.  When he told of the great dreams he had they hated him more.  Joseph gets thrown into a pit by his own brothers, sold to the Ishmaelites and was taken to Egypt and then he is sold again to Potiphar.  This guy just couldn’t catch a break.  He is accused of rape and sent to prison.  I’m thinking Joseph is not the character I would choose.

Then there is Peter.  He was a fisherman by trade so I am thinking, I love to fish so maybe this is the person I would choose.  He asked Jesus to call to him so he could walk on water but he lost faith when the wind picked up and sunk so that Jesus had to pull him out.  After seeing Jesus feed the multitudes with a few loaves of bread and a few fish he ends up denying he knows Jesus.  I am sure I won’t choose Peter.
In the Bible there are stories of great men who rose above seemingly insurmountable obstacles but they also all failed in one way or another and many of them failed over and over again.  I think there is no character I would want to be like except Jesus, because he was without sin and saved the world.  Since I can’t select Jesus I guess I will just be me with all my failures and sin.  If God can accomplish the things he did through the characters listed above, I know he can do amazing things through me just as I am. 
      
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, You give me strength every day to face obstacles.  When I thought about the various people in the Bible that You used in their very weakness, I understand that you can use me too.  I pray that when those opportunities arise, that you will give me strength and courage to step forward in faith.  You are my Redeemer and Savior.  I praise Your Holy Name.
      
Scripture: Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.   And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment