Friday, July 19, 2013


Joy
In vain I have searched the Bible, looking for examples of early believers whose lives were marked by rigidity, predictability, inhibition, dullness, and caution. Fortunately, grim, frowning, joyless saints in Scriptures are conspicuous by their absence. Instead, the examples I find are of adventurous, risk-taking, enthusiastic, and authentic believers whose joy was contagious even in times of full trial. Their vision was broad even when death drew near. Rules were few and changes were welcome. The contrast between then and now is staggering.  Chuck Swindoll

God intends the Christian life to be a life of joy - not drudgery. The idea that holiness is associated with a dour disposition is a caricature of the worst sort. In fact, just the opposite is true. Only those who walk in holiness experience true joy.  Jerry Bridges
Have you ever lost your joy?  You get caught up in daily life and the easiest thing to lose is not your keys or your glasses.  One of the things that we lose first is our joy.  God wants us to be joyful in everything whether that everything is good or bad. 

I found myself losing my joy this week.  It was like Satan had taken up residence inside my head and he wouldn’t move out.  The only way he got in there was because I allowed it.  I started having a pity party.  When you throw a pity party everything around you seems to fall apart.  You start looking at the negative instead of the positive and it’s all downhill from there.  It is kind of like the cartoon where the snowball starts at the top of the hill and as it rolls it gets bigger and bigger. 
So this week I am working and Satan moves in and everything seems to work against me.  I sent the wrong document for my boss to a large organization that he works with and someone else noticed and pointed it out to my boss and the organization I sent it to.  I mailed a check to pay one of my boss’s utility bills and the check was returned with the wrong address and it was due the day I received it back in the mail.  This particular company is one of the few utility providers in west Texas so they will cut off your utilities if you breathe wrong.  So I spent part of this week scrambling to get them paid.  When I should have let God’s joy fill me that He provided me with a way to accomplish that, I instead let Satan steal my joy.    One of my biggest mistakes I made was starting to think that it was all about me. 

If I can’t reflect joy to those around me, I am not doing the Kingdom of God any good.  Last night I reflected on why I lost my joy and what I could do to get it back.  First, I started thinking about all the things in my life that I have to be thankful for.  One thing I have learned is that you don’t need to look far to see someone whose circumstances are worse than yours.  Recently my husband’s job was in jeopardy and we did what we always do in times of trouble.  We prayed and God answered.   I have never seen my husband happier in any other job.  God has provided over and over again in my life. When my health failed, He provided. When you reach the bottom God is there and that is the ultimate joy.
I am sure every one of you has similar stories or even worse situations in your life.  Don’t let Satan steal your joy.  God is a Mighty Provider and He will show you joy even in the worst circumstances.  Today I am kicking Satan to the curb.  I have my joy back.  Hallelujah!

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am amazed by Your grace and mercy on me.  I almost let Satan steal my joy.  When I lean on You, my heart rejoices because You are near. Your joy fills my heart and I am forever grateful for Your love for a poor sinner like me.
Scripture:   Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10

But let all those rejoice who put their trust in You; Let them ever shout for joy, because You defend them; Let those also who love Your name Be joyful in You.  For You, O Lord, will bless the righteous; With favor You will surround him as with a shield.  Psalms 5:11-12
 Do not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.  Psalm 51:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment