Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Protein Pack

Educators take something simple and make it complicated. Communicators take something complicated and make it simple. John C. Maxwell

Have you ever noticed how companies like to name products so that their product sounds different from everyone else’s and more complicated?    

I have been watching what I eat.  Well, not just watching it, but eating it too; just in a healthy manner.  Anyway, I read that you should eat a piece of rye bread every morning because it tricks your hypothalamus into thinking you are full.  I admit I didn’t really know what the hypothalamus was, although I had heard of it; the only thing I did know was that it wasn’t an animal in Africa.  So if you were wondering like I was, this is what it is and does.

"The hypothalamus is responsible for certain metabolic processes and other activities of the autonomic nervous system. It synthesizes and secretes certain neurohormones, often called releasing hormones or hypothalamic hormones, and these in turn stimulate or inhibit the secretion of pituitary hormones.  The hypothalamus controls body temperature, hunger, important aspects of parenting and attachment behaviors, thirst, fatigue and sleep." So to make this simple it controls if I am hot or cold, hungry, thirsty or sleepy, how to raise my kids and when I "friend someone".   

Anyway, back to my new diet.  I also read that you should eat an egg in the morning.  So I stopped by Starbucks to get my egg.  The problem is they don’t call it an egg.  Their egg comes with a bunch of grapes, a whole grain muffin, a piece of cheese, peanut butter and some apple slices.  When I walked up to the counter they had not put the eggs in the refrigerated case yet.  Since I didn’t know what it was called, I told the lady I wanted the pack with the egg.  I knew I had messed up when she looked at me like a deer in headlights.  So the two clerks behind the counter started discussing what I might be trying to buy.  Maybe I should have said my hypothalamus needed protein.  They finally determined that I was talking about what they call a Protein Pack.

I’ll admit, sometimes Starbucks intimidates me.  If you don’t know what or how to pronounce macchiato, (did you know macchiato is Italian for marked; what that has to do with coffee is beyond me), latte, grande, tall, or a caffe mistro, it’s probably best if you don’t go in.  The first time I ever went into Starbucks I just ordered a tall because I recognized the word.  

What did I learn from this?  I learned that I am a very simple person.  I like things to be straightforward where I don’t have to look it up first before I decide what to buy or do.  The other thing I realized is that the Bible is very straightforward.  It doesn’t pull any punches or beat around the bush.  What’s truth is truth.  There is no grey area and if you search through it you will find everything you need to live this life on earth.  Our God is amazing and He gave us the tools we need to survive and flourish.  To get the benefit of this amazing resource, we must open it first.  Search His Word for the truth and it shall make you free.  


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am a very simple person.  I love Your Word because it is simple and straightforward.  I want to get everything I can from it.  If I ask, You will help me understand the parts that aren’t as clear.  Thank You for providing the tools we need to survive this life so that we can move toward a much better one with You.   
   

Scripture: The Truth Shall Make You Free


Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”


They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say, ‘You will be made free’?”


Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.  John 8:31-36.

No comments:

Post a Comment