Thursday, September 28, 2017

Surprises & The Art of Giving

You can always give without loving, but you can never love without giving.  Amy Carmichael

Have you ever done something for someone that they didn’t expect?  I think one of the things that make doing for others so special is the pleasure on their face when you do a kindness for them that isn’t expected. 

I love surprises.  Let me clarify. I like certain surprises.  I don’t like surprises that scare me or embarrass me.  Snakes aren’t good surprises and neither is being humiliated in front of other people.  I think the embarrassment part comes from being an introvert as a kid.  I will say that the older I get the less I care about being embarrassed.  Maybe that comes from the knowledge that I know God loves me no matter what I do.  You may think I do stupid stuff and I admit it I do.  To see some of my stupid stuff; just read some of my previous devotionals.  My motto is if you can’t laugh at yourself it’s better not to laugh at someone else. 

Another thing I have learned over the years is that I am a sinner just like every other person on this earth.  When you figure that fundamental point out; other people’s opinions of you stop being so important.  Knowing “whose” you are makes all the difference.

As I was thinking about this I realized that there is an art to giving.  I’m not talking about giving money or things.  I am talking about the art of giving of yourself on behalf of another person.  If you ever want to see God at work, help someone else without being asked.  There is a joy in it that is indescribable.  Seeing the other person’s face light up because you did something out of kindness is to me the ultimate God rush.  It’s like joy, happiness and excitement all rolled into one package. 

The secret to the art of giving is that it will cost you something.  It may be your time, it could be money but the bottom line is it must include love.  If love is not the main ingredient then you have not experienced the art of giving.  To love another person enough to sacrifice something important to you is the ultimate act of giving. 

   
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, help me to be a better giver.  I want to reflect You with my giving.  I pray that You will present opportunities to me that will allow me to practice the art of giving in a special way.  I am filled with joy when I practice it Your way.  Place people in my path that need to see Your love through my giving of myself, my time or any other resource You provide so that I can show others You.
      

Scripture: The Cheerful Giver

But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.  So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work. As it is written:


“He has dispersed abroad,
He has given to the poor;
His righteousness endures forever.”
 2 Corinthians 9:6-9

No comments:

Post a Comment