Thursday, September 21, 2017

Technology & Relationships

Four of the Ten Commandments deal with our relationship to God while the other six deal with our relationships with people. But all ten are about relationships.  Rick Warren

Last week at work I had someone in my office and my phone rang.  I glanced at the display and it said breast cancer.  Once I finished talking to the person who was in my office I listened to my messages but there was not one for the previous phone call.  Later in the day I heard my phone ring and it was the same caller so I answered the phone. 

A woman’s voice came on and started talking about supporting research for breast cancer.  Have you ever had one of those recordings call you where you can’t really tell if it is a person on the other line or a machine?  This was one of those times.  Our phone systems have become so sophisticated that you can almost set them up like a live person is on the other end of the phone.  This woman started talking and then she would ask me a question and then pause.  I asked what organization she was calling from and she immediately responded with some statement that didn’t make sense with the question I asked. I talked to this woman for several minutes before I realized it was a recording.  I am guessing she wasn’t offended when I hung up on her.

We have become a society run by automation.  Our phone can answer for us, we can turn on lights, alarms, and unlock doors in our house from our desk at work.  We can watch a webcam to see what our dog is up to in doggie day care. I even heard Uber is planning on converting their cars to run without drivers.  Children have better relationships with their phones than with live people. 

God created us to be in relationship with others and with Him. We have become so dependent on the devices we have for communication, that we have forgotten how to build relationships with people.  Many children today don’t know how to make lasting relationships. I really think we need to go back to the days of 3 channels on TV and a phone that plugs into the wall for communication.  If we aren’t building relationships with others, we aren’t showing others who God is and the amazing grace available to all who seek Him.   

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am guilty of spending more time on my electronic devises than building lasting relationships with others.  I often forget that the purpose behind relationships is to surround ourselves with others who can lift us up when we fall, encourage us when we need it most and to share Your love for us.  I need to spend more time with the people around me than figuring out what new gadget I can find that will save me time.  You’ve given me all the time I need, help me to take advantage of it.

Scripture: Fellowship with Him and One Another

This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:5-7

No comments:

Post a Comment