Thursday, March 6, 2014

Be Courageous

Beloved, I say, let your fears go, lest they make you fainthearted. Stop inspiring fear in those around you and now take your stand in faith. God has been good and He will continue to manifest His goodness. Let us approach these days expecting to see the goodness of the Lord manifest. Let us be strong and of good courage, for the Lord will fight for us if we stand in faith.  Francis Frangipane

cour·age 1. The quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear.

I was studying in the Bible about courage and there was a sentence that kept repeating over and over again.  “Be of good courage.” What does it mean to be of good courage?

When I was young we had woods behind our house and I didn’t like to go out there at night.  It was dark and my imagination would often take over.  I could imagine all kinds of things out there that I should be afraid of.  There were some old cars on one portion of the property that gave me the creeps.  I always imagined someone in one of them just waiting for me to walk by and then they would grab me.   It didn’t matter that the cars had no doors, windows or tires for that matter.  My fear was bigger than my faith.

As I have gotten older, the fears of childhood gave way to those of adulthood. I admit I still let fears overtake me.  I find that the more I spend time in God’s Word the less fear plays a part in my life.  I read about David and Goliath and the courage he had to stand up to a giant.  Then there is Noah who was told to build a boat where no water existed.  That took courage.  Then there was Daniel who was cast into the den of lions for worshiping God.  Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego exhibited great courage when they refused to worship Nebuchadnezzar’s gods and the golden image and were thrown into the fiery furnace. 

When I think of all the stories of courage in the Bible, my fears seem trivial in comparison. I haven’t had to face a giant, lions or a fiery furnace.  I am afraid I would have been an embarrassment as a super hero. 

The question I asked myself is how do we become people of great courage?  We must meditate on God’s Word.  We need to live it, breathe it and sleep on it day in and day out.  God calls each of us to be courageous for Him.  If Jesus could stand up to Satan with the Word of God then we can too.   If you are feeling more like the cowardly lion in the Wizard of Oz than a mighty warrior of God, spend time in His Word.  Courage will come and you are not alone. 

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am not always courageous and I am ashamed to say I don’t always stand up for You. Help me Father to meditate on Your Word and to bury it in my heart so that any time fear tries to overtake me, I will be able to step out with courage and stand for what is right and good.  You are my strength and I praise You.   


Scripture: Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6

No comments:

Post a Comment