Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Hyperventilating

Faith expects from God what is beyond all expectation.  Andrew Murray

Yesterday was a Monday to top all Monday’s.  If you depend on technology at all, you will understand the story I am getting ready to tell. 

My computer at work crashed yesterday.  I’m not talking about one of those “My computer has a virus that can be fixed with a computer antibiotic.”  It crashed to the point that in computer language they call it “No boot device found” or in other words “No hope of getting your info back”.  Our system is backed up every day except for my personal folders and my contacts.  I wasn’t as concerned until they said I lost all my contacts.  I needed a brown paper sack to breathe into because I thought I was hyperventilating.  You know what I am talking about.  You breathe so fast and take in so much oxygen that your brain can’t handle all that fresh air. 

One of our IT guys came to give me the bad news.  “We aren’t able to retrieve any of your lost information and the only other thing we could do is remove the hard drive and see if we could get anything off of it.  Oh, and by the way we don’t have a “clean room” to do this in so we will need to contact an outside company with a clean room who could try to retrieve your information and by the way it will cost $250 to just to look at the hard drive and then approximately $3000 to try to remove information from it in a “clean room”. 

About this time I start hyperventilating again.  All of my devotional contacts are gone.  Then I started thinking about work and everything that I manage for one of my bosses including contacts, account numbers for various investment accounts, individuals that he asked me to add to my contact list for the past two years are gone, the list is so long I needed a paper sack quick.  Every name in my drop down list that I use to email anyone was gone.  So every time I needed to send an email I had to look the person’s name up or pull up an old email to get their email address. 

What I noticed was that in the middle of this so called “crisis” I didn’t immediately pray.  I sent a text to my sister and said, “my hard drive crashed and I need prayer”.  It was sort of comical, if anything about this scenario can be called comical. She text me back and said “Did you pray about it.  God fixed my shower door and my disposal.”  I started laughing.  Then I thought about when my windshield wipers stopped working after I had a blowout and then I prayed and they started working again.
 
I then asked myself, “Why didn’t I immediately turn to God.”  I have two words panic and hyperventilation, with some lack of faith thrown in.  It is often hard for me to understand and wrap my arms around God’s absolute greatness.  Too many times I look at things from my perspective instead of His perspective.  I can read about the amazing things God did in the Bible yet I have a hard time applying the same thing to my life.  If my faith isn’t strong enough to withstand a computer crash, I need to spend more time with God and the stories of the great things he did for people just like me who lacked faith.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am sorry I didn’t turn to You immediately.  If you are my rock and fortress during times of trouble, You should be the first One I think of during any crisis big or small.  Help me to keep the troubles of this earthly life in perspective and understand that You can do anything even fix my computer.  But, even if it doesn’t get fixed You still are there for me and You intend it all for my good.    

Scripture: May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment