Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Gifts

Your spiritual gifts were not given for your own benefit but for the benefit of others, just as other people were given gifts for your benefit.  Rick Warren

God created each of us with certain gifts. Have you ever taken one of those tests to determine what you are gifted at in life or where your interests lie?  Many years ago when I was in high school I took a test to determine my interests.  This particular test was used to help you determine what you wanted to be when you went to college.  It was intended to try to guide you to a more meaningful career.  I guess the theory is that if you enjoy what you do as your occupation, you will have a tendency to stick with it. 

The majority of my classmates that I graduated with didn’t go on to become what they studied in school.  I think the issue is that too many times the focus is on how much money can be made in any given occupation. We are taught from a young age that you need to support yourself and work.  I used to wonder why all of the experts would say that the average person would change jobs multiple times in their lifetime.
 
God created each of us with talents that He wants us to use for His glory, but I as many others I know, drifted away from my true purpose on earth because I was influenced by what the world was doing.  God is the true expert on everything including our purpose in life.  Each of us was created with spiritual gifts.  How we use those gifts is up to us, but God gave them to us for a purpose.   If I am not growing closer to God in every aspect of my life, and using the spiritual gifts He gave me for His kingdom, then I am not fulfilling His purpose.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I often fail at the very things You created me to be and do.  I am sorry Father, for not focusing on the purpose You have for my life.  Draw me closer to You so that I can be all You created me to be.  

Scripture:  For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.  For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.  Romans 12:3-8

No comments:

Post a Comment