Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Gladys Is Back

Men sigh for the wings of a dove, that they may fly away and be at Rest. But flying away will not help us. "The Kingdom of God is WITHIN YOU." We aspire to the top to look for Rest; it lies at the bottom. Water rests only when it gets to the lowest place. So do men. Hence, be lowly.  Henry Drummond

Our doves are back.  Remember my story last year about Gladys Knight and the Pips.  These were our resident mourning doves that had baby doves (the Pips).  When their home (nest) fell apart I rebuilt it for her and she ignored my construction efforts.  One baby fell out of the nest and I rescued him before my dog made it his next meal.  Well, they’re back, at least Gladys and her beau are back and they are looking for a place to build their nest. 

On Saturday mornings I like to get up and make my coffee then sit and read.  Lately I can hear her beau cooing.  I decided to research a little about doves to find out more about them.  God created some of the most amazing things on this earth.  Did you know that the male is the one that coos? To attract the female the male will puff out his chest, bob his head and make loud calls.  I’ve seen that happen in the human species.  The male locates the site for the nest and then the female builds it.  The male runs to Home Depot and gets the materials and then she constructs it.  Both parents will feed the babies until they are able to leave the nest.  It is only 11-15 days before the babies wings have developed enough so they can fly. Even after they are able to fly they will stay nearby to be fed by their father for up to two more weeks.

Here is another interesting fact.  Cowbirds will sometimes lay their eggs in a doves nest so that they don’t have to take care of their own young. I don’t know if birds can see or not but you would think they might notice a big cowbird in their nest and figure out one of these things is not like the other.
 
God created everything in nature and if you watch nature enough, you will often see God’s hand at work in the very survival of each species of animal.   Some of the very things that animals do to survive, we as humans also do.  God created in the male dove the ability to know that he must find a home and provide for his family.  He created in the female dove the ability to know that she must build a nest and hunt for food to feed her chicks.  Then you have the whole cowbird thing, where she takes on young that are not her own. 
      
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I love to watch nature because it gives me so many glimpses of You.  You created everything on earth and as I watch this family of doves I see the similarities in human families on earth.  You teach us through nature as well as through our fellow man.  Help me to follow your ways and search for truth.  You will give me wisdom if I search for it and ask. 

Scripture:  Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him.  And John tried to prevent Him, saying, “I need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?”


But Jesus answered and said to him, “Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed Him.


 When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” Matthew 3:13-17

No comments:

Post a Comment