Friday, March 28, 2014

True Belonging

Aloneness can lead to loneliness. God's preventative for loneliness is intimacy - meaningful, open, sharing relationships with one another. In Christ we have the capacity for the fulfilling sense of belonging which comes from intimate fellowship with God and with other believers.  Neil T. Anderson

Have you ever wanted to belong to a group?  Maybe it was a certain team or a group of kids who were popular in school or a sorority or fraternity in college.  All of us have an innate desire to belong.  God created us to be in relationship with others. 

How do we get “true belonging?  In order for us to truly belong we must first love ourselves.  We need to practice loving ourselves.  This is often difficult because, besides God, we are the only one who truly knows what we’re made of and sometimes what we’re made of is not something we want the world to see.  The sin that we don’t want others to know about is often the biggest road block to us having relationships with others and true belonging.

One of the things I have learned over the years is that true belonging only happens when I present my authentic, imperfect self to the world.  I am the first to admit that I hate to be embarrassed in front of other people.  I don’t know that there are many of us that like that feeling of mortification that comes over you when someone embarrasses us in front of others or, as will often happen with me, I can do some amazingly embarrassing things all on my own without anyone else’s help. 

One of the most important things I learned in life is that God loves me even when I am in the midst of my most embarrassing moments.  I have also learned that many people we encounter in life are exactly like me, wanting to fit in but not sure how to go about it.

Another thing that hinders our path to “true belonging” is our fear of rejection.  I start to think, what if I open my heart and share my true self and someone rejects me?  If I am not able to let go of what other people think of me and own my story, then I will never have true belonging.  When I spend my lifetime distancing myself from the parts of me that I don’t think other people will accept; I will go through life performing, perfecting, pleasing and proving.  I will never measure up and I will spend my life covering up who I really am.
 
God never intended for us to cover up what and who we are on the inside.  If we are part of His family, we have to become authentic and that will lead to “true belonging.”
     
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I spent many years covering up who I really was on the inside.  I thought if I could become what other people expected me to be, than I would be accepted.  The problem with that is that I became someone else.  I didn’t present my true self to the world and You were the only one who knew it because I became really good at covering up the real me.  Thank you for standing beside me when I started showing the world my true self.  You helped me to give up the desire to be what other’s wanted me to be and to accept myself as a flawed and sinful person loved by You.

Scripture:  This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth.   But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.


If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.  If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us. 1 John 1:5-10


 

No comments:

Post a Comment