Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Chameleon

In place of our exhaustion and spiritual fatigue, God will give us rest. All He asks is that we come to Him...that we spend a while thinking about Him, meditating on Him, talking to Him, listening in silence, occupying ourselves with Him - totally and thoroughly lost in the hiding place of His presence.  Chuck Swindoll

If you want to see the wonder of God in action you don’t have far to go.  Nature is one of His most awesome creations.  I was reading about the chameleon and did you know that there are some species that can change their thermal temperature by changing colors.  The amazing thing about this is that in some desert chameleons they have the ability to change one side to black and the other half of their body to gray depending on where the sun hits them.  I also learned that they have different layers of colors that affect the way their outer appearance is viewed.  Sort of like a chameleon color wheel. 

When I started reading about the chameleon if made me think about my life and how sometimes I can be just like them.  You know how it is.  You are socializing with friends or acquaintances and someone in the group says something that is against everything God is about, and you just laugh and act like it didn’t happen.  Or you see someone mistreating another person and you don’t stand up in defense of that individual.  It’s really quite uncomfortable to be in this situation.  You know what is right, yet because you want to “fit in” and not be different or weird by the world’s standards, you change your color to match what is acceptable.

We don’t often hear people talk much about Judas from the Bible.  I started wondering why no one talks about him much.  You hear about Moses, Abraham, Noah, Job and the list goes on, but not much about Judas.  My own thoughts on this are that Judas makes us uncomfortable.  His betrayal of Jesus was so profound.  For thirty pieces of silver he betrayed our Savior.  It’s not like Judas didn’t have time to change his mind about betraying Jesus.  In Matthew 26: 47-49 Judas brought a crowd to arrest Jesus and his signal to the crowd was that he would kiss and greet Jesus and that he would be the one they should arrest. 

The most heartbreaking part of this encounter was that Jesus knew Judas would betray him and told him in Matthew 26:50 “Do what you came for, friend.”  Then when Judas saw that Jesus was condemned to die he decided he had made a mistake and tried to give the money back.  The chief priest and elders replied “What is it to us?” “It is your responsibility.”

When I choose to not step forward and claim Jesus and defend His name, I am as guilty as Judas.  I may not take money, or silver, or cash but in reality what I accept is just as bad for my betrayal of our Savior.  What I take in payment is “worldly acceptance”.  If fitting in with the world is more important than my Savior then I commit the same sin Judas or Peter did.  When I decide to become a chameleon and fit in with the world around me, I am not hidden from God just as Judas and Peter weren’t either. 


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am ashamed to say that I have tried to fit in with what the world thinks I should be instead of being who You call me to be.  Jesus stood up to those who ridiculed and betrayed Him, but He also loved them even in the midst of his sorrow and pain.  There are times when situations make me feel uncomfortable, but I ask for your strength when those times occur, for me to take a stand for the one who died on a cross for my sin. 
  

Scripture:  Then one of the Twelve—the one called Judas Iscariot—went to the chief priests and asked, “What are you willing to give me if I deliver him over to you?” So they counted out for him thirty pieces of silver. From then on Judas watched for an opportunity to hand him over.  Matthew 26:14-16


Early in the morning, all the chief priests and the elders of the people made their plans how to have Jesus executed.  So they bound him, led him away and handed him over to Pilate the governor.


When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders. “I have sinned,” he said, “for I have betrayed innocent blood.”



“What is that to us?” they replied. “That’s your responsibility.” So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.  Matthew 27:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment