Monday, March 10, 2014

With All Your Mind

Christ is not a reservoir but a spring. His life is continual, active and ever passing on with an outflow as necessary as its inflow. If we do not perpetually draw the fresh supply from the living Fountain, we shall either grow stagnant or empty, It is, therefore, not so much a perpetual fullness as a perpetual filling.  A.B. Simpson

Have you ever tried to focus your thoughts on God and failed miserably?  I have over and over again.  It is easy to get discouraged because life interferes.  There are times when I try to focus my mind on God and it is like a dropped phone call on my cell phone.

When I go to my parent’s house there is one area on the freeway to their house that is what they call a dead zone.  There is no cell service.  I often go out to their house and when I head home at night I will call my husband on the way.  I have learned to not call him before I get to that area because the call always drops at the same place.

Sometimes my connection with God gets interrupted the same way except it is my own thoughts that interfere.  I will be driving along thinking about God and all of a sudden another thought pops into my head.  It can be anything from the grocery list that I am adding to, to the project I am working on that can cause interference and a disconnect with my Heavenly Father.  Sometime it is just that I am so busy with life that I forget what is most important.  My relationship with God should be the most important thing in my life.
 
How do I get the focus back to Him?  One of the most important things I can do is to memorize His Word.  If I focus on His Word and bury it in my heart it will come to me all the time.  If I am so busy thinking about this world and what is going on with me, I become selfish and those very thoughts draw me away from God.  One of the most important verses we can memorize is the following:

Philippians 4:8 Meditate on these things

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

If you look at the words in this one verse it can turn your thoughts to the One who created us.  It tells us to focus on whatever things are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous and praiseworthy. God embodies all of these things.  If our focus is on these instead of the worries and wants of the world, we will be able to call Him to mind in any circumstance.  

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, help me to bury Your Word in my heart.  If I memorize Your Word I will then be able to call it to mind in the midst of trials and trouble.  You are my fortress and my strength.  The only way I can battle the forces of this world is to meditate on Your Word and then I will be able to use it as my sword and shield.  I praise Your Name above all others. 

Scripture: How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word. With my whole heart I have sought You; oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!  Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You. Blessed are You, O Lord! Teach me Your statutes.  With my lips I have declared All the judgments of Your mouth.  I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, As much as in all riches.  I will meditate on Your precepts, and contemplate Your ways. I will delight myself in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word.  Psalm 119:9-16

No comments:

Post a Comment