Monday, March 31, 2014

My Burden is Light

What is needed for happy effectual service is simply to put your work into the Lord's hand, and leave it there. Do not take it to Him in prayer, saying, "Lord, guide me, Lord, give me wisdom, Lord, arrange for me," and then arise from your knees, and take the burden all back, and try to guide and arrange for yourself. Leave it with the Lord, and remember that what you trust to Him you must not worry over nor feel anxious about. Trust and worry cannot go together.  Hannah Whitall Smith

Have you ever had a burden that you carry around with you?  It’s like you have one of those rolling bags that you keep stuffing all the burdens you run into during the day into it until it can’t hold anymore.  I am so guilty of this.  I go to the Father with my concerns and then as soon as I finish praying I take my burden back and try to fix it myself.  I love the words, “Find rest for your soul.”   
  
How do we humans in this fast paced world find rest for our souls?  I think the first step is to slow down.  If you ever drive on a freeway there are any number of people who are out driving that want to be first. How about all the functions that we think we need to attend or the number of sports activities that our children are involved in.  In today’s society if your child is not involved in 2 sports, multiple clubs and various groups, your child is not well rounded.  We have given up our time with God to stuff and activities. 

The second step is to meditate on His Word.  The part of this scripture that captures my attention is “no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.”  For the Son to reveal the father to us we need to be pursuing Him and the Holy Spirit needs to be alive in us.  If we aren’t taking the time to spend time with God, our burden will never be light. 

The final step is to live and breathe God’s Word.  Everything we will ever need in life is buried there.  It is like all the treasure in the world at our disposal yet how often do we really dig into it.  For our soul to find the rest it needs, we will need to spend time with our heavenly Father.  His yoke is easy and his burden is light.  Take the time to rest in Him.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I sometimes carry all my burdens around and I wonder why I can’t rest.  When I don’t depend on You for heavenly rest, I defeat the purpose of why Jesus died on the cross for me.  I pray for Your strength to let it all go.  Nothing in this life on earth is worth more than You.  Reveal to me Your wisdom so that I can find rest for my soul.  I love you Father. 
  

Scripture: The Father Revealed in the Son

At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.


“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  Matthew 11:25-30

No comments:

Post a Comment