Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Utility Service 

The same Jesus Who turned water into wine can transform your home, your life, your family, and your future. He is still in the miracle-working business, and His business is the business of transformation.  Adrian Rogers

During the past few weeks I have received calls from a utility company.  This is a company that we currently have service with but our contract is expiring.  So I received 6 different calls from the same company. They want to offer me a deal I can’t refuse.  Even though I asked them to stop calling they continue and each time it is a different person asking the same question. 

When I received yet another call yesterday I finally decided to ask some questions.  So I asked the gentleman this question.  “If I don’t renew my contract will you turn off the electricity when the contract expires?”  He replied, “No, but if you don’t accept a new contract, the summer months are coming up and you will pay a higher rate.”  I then asked, “If my contract is up, then I can change providers if you charge me a higher rate right?”   He replied, “Yes you can change providers but you will have to pay a cancellation fee.”   I then said, “Why would I have to pay a cancellation fee if my contract is up?” We then went back into the same loop.  He said, “Well, no you won’t have to pay a cancellation fee but your price for electricity could go up.”

I think I totally flustered the guy.  He kept saying that they care about their customers and just wanted to allow us to receive the same rate we were currently paying.  He couldn’t tell me that my electricity would go up but it could.  So I have no guarantees that my electricity will go up or down but it is in my best interest to renew my contract so that I can avoid this potential catastrophe.  He kept moving to the end of the sales pitch and telling me that it would only take a few minutes to renew over the phone. 

I finally asked him if they could mail me the information instead of calling me every day to ask the same question.  He told me they could do that but if I didn’t accept the renewal soon it would take 2 months for my renewal to take affect if I decided to renew. 

Do you ever have those days when you feel like your wheels are spinning but you’re getting nowhere fast? I try to look at everything from a God perspective so I took this incident and tried to think about what would Jesus do?  During the time Jesus was on earth He wasn’t concerned about electricity because they didn’t have any.  When I thought about it, Jesus probably would have handled the situation differently.  Of course back then it might have been a conversation about how many donkeys a guy had instead of kilowatts per hour, but I believe Jesus would have steered the conversation to salvation and the benefits of heaven. Jesus’ life was not about the things he did or didn’t have while on earth.  His life was about saving others.  He was about his Father’s business.

So what did I learn.  I learned that I need to be more compassionate to the person calling me. I need to care more for the person than the situation and I need to not get frustrated when I get the call because the person on the other end is one of God’s children and my business should be about God’s business.
          
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am guilty of getting frustrated with the people who call me on the phone about the same thing over and over again.  I want to be more like Jesus but I can’t be like that if the words I speak are not kind or caring.  Help me to see others through Your eyes.  Jesus is the best example to follow and I pray for guidance to help me see each individual as You do.  A child of God.  

Scripture: What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.  Romans 6:1-4

No comments:

Post a Comment