Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Bleeding Love

The assurance of His total forgiveness of our sins through the blood of Christ means we don't have to play defensive games anymore. We don't have to rationalize and excuse our sins. We can call sin exactly what it is, regardless of how ugly and shameful it may be, because we know that Jesus bore that sin in His body on the cross. Jerry Bridges

I was thinking about Jesus’ death on the cross.  Prior to His death He had gone into the garden to pray.  He knew exactly what was going to happen to Him.  It was no surprise.  Can you imagine living every day of your life on earth knowing how you would die in the end; and knowing that your death wouldn’t be that you died in your sleep?  There was no peaceful death for Jesus.

I think we sometimes forget the reality of Jesus’ death and the cruel manner in which He died.  Remember those long ago words from Jesus’ prayer in Luke 22.  “Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.”  Then an angel appeared to give Him strength.  God’s answer to Jesus’ prayer was My will be done, not that He would take this cup away from Him.  Then the scripture goes on to say that being in agony, He prayed more earnestly.  Then His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground.  Jesus knew what God’s answer would be but still asked anyway. 

If you think about it, Jesus bled love for each of us.  Our sin could not be washed away any other way.  He had to die so that we could live.  To help put this in perspective; can you imagine your dad coming to you and saying, “tomorrow I want you to sacrifice yourself for a sinful people and many will not appreciate your sacrifice.  I am not going to give you a shot of morphine so that you will be pain free when the time comes.  Even though you asked me to take this death from you I am asking you to do it anyway for my sake.” 

How many of us would go through with what our dad asked?  Jesus bled love for each of us and we often repay Him with ridicule, disbelief and disobedience.  We don’t share what Jesus did for us with anyone else.  We don’t spend time with Him or thank Him for the sacrifice of His life.  He didn’t come to this world for any reason other than to save us.  Take time to get on your knees and thank Him for saving You.  His sacrifice means something.
   
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am ashamed to admit that I often forget the great sacrifice of Jesus’ life.  He came here for no other purpose than to save a wretched person like me.  I praise Jesus’ for the sacrifice.  I would not have a chance at heaven without Him.  Thank You for giving each of us a way back to You through Jesus’ death on the cross.  I am forever grateful.


Scripture:  The Jews therefore quarreled among themselves, saying, “How can this Man give us His flesh to eat?”  Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.  When He rose up from prayer, and had come to His disciples, He found them sleeping from sorrow. Then He said to them, “Why do you sleep? Rise and pray, lest you enter into temptation.”  John 6:52-54

No comments:

Post a Comment