Monday, August 11, 2014

This is the Stuff

If we exalt money, status, or sex above the Word of God, we are living in idolatry. Every time we inwardly submit to the strongholds of fear, bitterness, and pride, we are bowing to the rulers of darkness. Each of these idols must be smashed, splintered, and obliterated from the landscape of our hearts. Francis Frangipane

The world is made up of a lot of stuff.  Have you noticed how that stuff can hinder our relationship with our Heavenly Father?  It is a struggle every day to fight against letting the things of this world become our idol. It’s very distracting and it is a struggle to keep it from invading every part of your life. 

So what is the definition of an idol?   It is an image of a deity other than God.  So what are the things that we can find on earth that could take the place of God in our life?  Well there’s food, sports, girlfriends, boyfriends, houses, boats, trips, work, success, money, cars and this list could go on forever.  Then there are more obscure idols that we often don’t think about, but they can trip us up worse than the things of the world. 

Have you ever thought about people pleasing being a form of idol?  If we care more about what other people think about us than what God thinks, then this becomes our idol.  Have you ever not spoken up to others about your faith because of what you think they will think about you?  I am ashamed to admit that I have in the past and I am still guilty of it.  When I let what others think of me interfere with my relationship with God, then I have sold Him out. I am no better than a murderer or a thief. 

I think what happens is Satan is subtle.  He wants us to place everything before God and there is so much in this world that fascinates us, draws us and overtakes us.  Too many times we think of an idol as a golden image because that is what Aaron did when Moses was up on the mountain. The reality is just about everything we touch on earth can become our idol and it can draw us away from the One who matters most.  We must be constantly aware of the stuff around us that can bring us down.   

I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me.  John 5:30

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am guilty of putting more importance on things than on You.  I am ashamed that I have allowed things of this world to be more important than You.  Satan is constantly trying to trip me up and sometimes I fall into that trap.  I need Your help to avoid the pitfalls of loving things of this world more than You. 
        

Scripture: And God spoke all these words, saying: “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.  “You shall have no other gods before Me. Exodus 20:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment