Friday, August 22, 2014

Seeing the Invisible

The grandest operations, both in nature and grace, are the most silent and imperceptible. The shallow brook babbles in its passage and is heard by every one; but the coming on of the seasons is silent and unseen. The storm rages and alarms, but its fury is soon exhausted, and its effects are but partial and soon remedied; but the dew, though gentle and unheard, is immense in quantity, and is the very life of large portions of the earth. And these are pictures of the operations of grace in the church and in the soul.  Richard Cecil

In life, if we are going to follow God we will need to understand the invisible.  Too many times I think we look at the world and miss the things that God is doing to reveal Himself to us.

Here are a few examples:

Have you ever seen a physician, firefighter or individual perform CPR on a person having a heart attack?  Logically we know that this person will die if they don’t receive help.  If we know the way God works we can understand that God has given a skill to the person performing CPR in order to help others.  God is there in this circumstance.
 
Have you ever been driving down the road and someone almost hits you?  I had one not long after I bought my car.  I was traveling down a busy three lane road driving the speed limit (40 mph) when I glance over to the right lane and see some car parts in the road and a vehicle stopped.  When I turn back to look in my lane there is a car in front of me who swerves to the far left lane and I look up and there is a car stopped in the lane I am in with no flashers or break lights to identify it is stopped and parked in my lane.  Since I had just passed the car in the right lane and couldn’t go to the left I slammed on the breaks and swerved to the right.  God was with me in that moment because I swerved in front of the car on the right and didn’t hit either one.
   
Have you ever held a newborn baby?  You look down at this tiny person who has lived the first nine months in its mother’s womb with no visible means of breathing and then it grows up to be a teenager.  That alone is a miracle. 

Have you ever watched a hummingbird fly?  I have always been fascinated with them because they can hover in one place and their wings are moving so fast that you can’t see them.
 
I think too many times we expect God to give us more evidence.  We want Him to perform like a circus act and do great daring feats when He has and is already giving us the evidence we need to understand and know Him. When we take time to look around us we finally understand that he is performing miracles every day.  Sometimes we miss the everyday miracles because we are too busy looking for something bigger.
    
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, remind me of the miracles You perform every day.  Help me to see them for what they are and not discount them.  Too many times I think You are invisible, but if I look closely, Your miracles are there for anyone to see if we will take the time to look.  Show me the things that are not seen but are eternal. 
   

Scripture: Seeing the Invisible

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment