Monday, August 25, 2014

On My Feet Again

Don’t pray when you feel like it. Have an appointment with the Lord and keep it. A man is powerful on his knees.  Corrie Ten Boom

We are urgent about the body; He is about the soul. We call for present comforts; He considers our everlasting rest. And therefore when He sends not the very things we ask, He hears us by sending greater than we can ask or think.  Richard Cecil

When your soul is thirsty where do you go? There is a song by Jonny Lang called On My Feet Again.  One of the lines in the song goes like this, “On my own I just can’t get it right, It doesn’t matter how hard I try, But with You I become a much stronger man, Getting on my knees puts me back on my feet again.” 

Doesn’t this describe our everyday lives? When we realize that we can’t do life on our own, that is the beginning of great wisdom.  We come to the end of ourselves and our abilities and realize that if we want eternal life, we need a Savior. 

One of the things that trips us up is we strive for the wrong things.  God considers the eternal and we live in the present.  We want comfort now in the present often not realizing that comforts of this world are fleeting and will soon be gone.  How many times do we ask God for stuff?  When we pray earnestly for someone else God answers.  The problem is when we are on our knees praying we also have an expectation of how God should answer.  We have it all planned out how God should answer and what he should do. 

God has a great plan and He doesn’t need our help to accomplish His great plan.  Sometimes His plan is going to send you down a path of pain and anguish.  When we don’t recognize His blessing in the middle of that pain, we miss the very thing He wants to teach us about life.  We also miss what he wants us to learn about eternity. 

Take the time to get on your knees because in the end it will put you on your feet again.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I often miss the blessings you send my way because I have a preconceived idea of how You should answer my prayer.  I need Your help to get back on my feet again so help remind me that Your blessings are beyond what I can ever imagine.  If they are beyond what I can imagine, help me to let go and be amazed.   
  

Scripture: The Appreciation of the Mystery

For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height—to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.


Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.  Ephesians 3:14-21

No comments:

Post a Comment