Monday, August 18, 2014

Prideful or Humble

No one enjoys feeling weak, whether it is emotionally, spiritually or physically. There is something within the human spirit that wants to resist the thought of weakness. Many times this is nothing more than our human pride at work. Just as weakness carries a great potential for strength, pride carries an equally great potential for defeat.  Charles Stanley

I believe firmly that the moment our hearts are emptied of pride and selfishness and ambition and everything that is contrary to God's law, the Holy Spirit will fill every corner of our hearts. But if we are full of pride and conceit and ambition and the world, there is no room for the Spirit of God. We must be emptied before we can be filled.  D.L. Moody

The focus of health in the soul is humility, while the root of inward corruption is pride. In the spiritual life, nothing stands still. If we are not constantly growing downward into humility, we shall be steadily swelling up and running to seed under the influence of pride.  J.I. Packer

PRIDEFUL - a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.

HUMBLE - not proud or arrogant; modest

I started thinking about pride and being humble.  The first thing I thought was Jesus never exhibited prideful behavior.  He never made His purpose on earth to be all about Himself.  Jesus is our best example of what it means to be humble.  He always referred to His Heavenly Father as to why He was on earth.

Whoever receives one of these little children in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me, receives not Me but Him who sent Me.”  Mark 9:37

I must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; the night is coming when no one can work. John 9:4

Over the past few years I have focused on prideful behavior in my life.  One of the interesting things about pride is it can sneak up on you without you ever knowing about it.  Here are a few examples.  You are at work and you make a mistake.  You have two options.  You can ignore the mistake, cover it up and hope no one finds out.  The other option is to admit to the mistake or confess and accept the consequences.  What is the first feeling that you get when you make a mistake?  It could be embarrassment, fear or guilt.  These feelings can lead to pride.  We don’t want someone else to know we were wrong.  We let pride stand in the way of more relationships than any other sin. 

Another example is you speak harshly to someone.  Pride steps in and says, “I don’t have to apologize because they know that is just the way I am”, or how about “I was just being honest.”  If we use the excuse that we were just being honest and we hurt another person, we have stepped into pride. If we can’t lower ourselves to relieve another person’s hurt that we have caused, we are allowing pride to interfere with the relationship.

The only way I can destroy pride in my life is to examine my actions carefully and most of the time is isn’t pretty. One of the things I figured out is that I will never become more like Jesus if I don’t learn humility. Being humble means you have to get lower than someone else.  Most of us don’t like humility because it is the height of vulnerability.  When we are vulnerable, other people can attack and often do.  If you are prepared the humility can come easier.

How do you prepare yourself to be humble?  The most important step is to realize Who you belong to.  If we can ever wrap our arms around the fact that God loves us and accept it as truth, we can take the first step toward humbleness. When we realize God loves us, we no longer base our worth on what someone in the world thinks about us.  When what the world thinks doesn’t matter anymore we are free to become more humble because we understand that God is always there.  Our friends, family and acquaintances may not always be there but God will.  That is all we need to know.  

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I wish there was a day that I came to You and didn’t have to ask for forgiveness for things I have done wrong.  There are times when pride stands in the way of my leading a humble life.  It is a constant battle and I know I need Your help because I just can’t do it on my own.  You are always there for me.  Remind me that being humble means being vulnerable.  Remind me that You are supporting me when I am at my most vulnerable.   

Scripture: Dishonest scales are an abomination to the Lord, but a just weight is His delight.  When pride comes, then comes shame; but with the humble is wisdom. The integrity of the upright will guide them, but the perversity of the unfaithful will destroy them.  Proverbs 11:1-3


The highway of the upright is to depart from evil; he who keeps his way preserves his soul. Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. Better to be of a humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.  Proverbs 16:17-19


Whoever guards his mouth and tongue keeps his soul from troubles. A proud and haughty man— “Scoffer” is his name; he acts with arrogant pride. Proverbs 21:23-25


An angry man stirs up strife, and a furious man abounds in transgression. A man’s pride will bring him low, but the humble in spirit will retain honor.  Whoever is a partner with a thief hates his own life; he swears to tell the truth, but reveals nothing. Proverbs 29-22-24

No comments:

Post a Comment