Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Deep Water

There are three kinds of faith in Christ: 1. Struggling faith, like a man in deep water desperately swimming. 2. Clinging faith, like a man hanging to the side of a boat. 3. Resting faith, like a man safely within the boat (and able to reach out with a hand to help someone else get in).  D.L. Moody

Have you ever been in deep water?  Several years ago my husband and I went to Cancun for vacation.  We decided to take an excursion to go snorkeling.  I will say this as a preface to my story.  Learn to speak the local language before you take a trip to another country. 

So we get to the dock to catch the ferry that would take us out to the island where we would be snorkeling that day.  Our first clue that this might be an iffy trip was the boat they put us on to travel to another island.  This boat (if you could call it that) was like my grandfather’s old fishing boat.  You know the kind that are aluminum with a flat bottom.  This one had one amenity.  It had a canopy that was about 4 X 5 that only covered half of the 15 people that were on this boat.  As soon as we sat down the skipper of this boat took off.  We went bouncing across the water at a good clip.  Water was splashing over the sides and front of the boat and we were bouncing.  I was starting to get nervous.  I must not have read the fine print on the brochure that told me about the accommodations.

Anyway, we pull up to this island and the skipper starts speaking in Spanish.  The only Spanish I knew was hola, si, por favor, and cerveza plus I could count to ten.  None of these words helped us in this situation.  So they pull up to the island and I am mainly watching the other people bail out of the boat into water that is about 3 feet deep and so clear that you could see the bottom.  So I’m thinking this isn’t so bad.  I can stand in the water so how much trouble can I get into.  We look over and the boat is leaving.  I’m thinking maybe they are just going to pick up another group and will come back for us later.  Then I see all of the people in our boat walking over to deeper water. 

I will add here that my husband decided he didn’t want a life jacket and I could see how you would make that mistake because we were standing in 3 feet of water.  As soon as we stepped over to the deeper water the current grabbed you and took off.  So I am thinking “how are we going to get back to the place where the boat dropped us off swimming against the current.”

After my panic attack subsided, I looked up and all the people that were on the boat with us are floating around the corner of this island.  I’m thinking they knew something I didn’t, (i.e. Spanish), so I started letting the current take me too.  So we are in 16-20 feet of water and snorkeling is the last thing on my mind.  My husband is swimming close to me because he doesn’t have on a life jacket.  I look over to our left and the only thing keeping us from going to Cuba is a metal cable that is stretched around the perimeter of this island.  We finally get to the tip of the island and as we float around the corner there must have been over a hundred people in life jackets bobbing in the water and twenty different boats floating around. 

Did I tell you I didn’t look at the name on our boat before we set sail so neither of us has a clue which boat is ours?  So I am looking at this sea of people and thinking we are never going to get back to civilization.  In my panicked state, I didn’t realize that anyone wearing a life jacket had the name of the boat on the back of the life jacket.  Can you blame me?  Then my next panicked thought was that we would get left on this island far away from other land masses and we would become Tom Hanks in Castaway without Wilson. 
   
So we are floating around with a hundred other people and the skippers of the boats are moving through the crowd plucking people out of the water and speaking Spanish.  Our boat floated up to us and flipped a ladder over the side for us to climb aboard. At this point I didn't care if this was our boat or not, I was getting on.  As far as snorkeling trips go, I didn’t see a fish.  The only use my snorkeling mask got was as a headband to hold my hair out of my face.
 
As I thought of this long ago trip, it made me think of the deep water we get in on a daily basis.  If our faith is not strong enough we will get taken out with the undercurrent.  How do we get a resting faith that will help us when we get into deep water?  I must depend on Him, rely on Him and rest in Him.  Unlike my panicked state during this trip, if I am resting on my faith in God, I am able to rest in Him.  He will get me back to shore.  He is the only One who can get me safely home.  
  
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I thought of this long ago trip where I got into deep water and I panicked.  If I spend time with You and meditate on Your Word, I have no reason to panic.  You will guide me, teach me and lead me in the direction I should go.  I want a resting faith that will see me through the deep waters of life.  I praise You for giving me the opportunity to rest in You.  
     

Scripture: Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart.  Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday.  Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him; do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; do not fret—it only causes harm. Psalm 37:3-8

No comments:

Post a Comment