Tuesday, February 26, 2013


Are You Satisfied?   

Definition: Satisfied 1. To fulfill the desires, expectations, needs, or demands of a person, the mind, etc….
After a person has forsaken his natural longings he obtains a genuinely restful life. Formerly he had many desires. To satisfy them he planned, plotted and contrived, exhausting every ounce of his wisdom and power. His heart was in constant turmoil. But that child of God who purely follows the spirit and seeks not his own pleasure is satisfied with what God gives to him: and his restlessness immediately ceases. Watchman Nee

This morning I was thinking about whether I was satisfied with my life or not.  Recently I started thinking about where I live and the car I drive.  Maybe it was our pastor’s sermon several weeks ago about idols that brought this to mind.  We can make anything in our life an idol.  When I become dissatisfied with my car, my house, where I live, how much money I make or anything else in my life, it means I am not satisfied with what God has given me.  This becomes a slippery slope into sin doesn’t it?
It is so easy to fall into the trap of I need more.  My car is 11 years old but still in great working condition.  When my faith gets shaky is when I start thinking about what happens if my car breaks down.  Surely it would be better if I was driving a new one.  What kind of stupid thinking is that?
 
Then there are the new house thoughts.  Our house is average size but when I start thinking I need more room that’s really stupid thinking on my part.  We have three bedrooms a kitchen, 2 car garage, dining room, living room and 2 bathrooms.  That would be a mansion to some people.  There is room for each of my family members, me, my husband and my dog to have a bedroom.  Why would we possibly need more?

I recently started getting rid of stuff.  I have dishes I don’t need, utensils I haven’t used in years.  I have curlers that I haven’t used since I had cancer 7 years ago.  My hair is too short for curlers.  I have stuff in my attic that hasn’t seen the light of day since we moved into our house. 
When we become dissatisfied with what we have and start longing for more things, we move further away from our Heavenly Father. As the quote above says, “our heart is in a state of constant turmoil” trying to figure out how we will get more.   My Heavenly Father has given me an abundant life in Him.  The key words here are “in Him”.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I often think about owning nicer things or buying a bigger house.  When my thoughts turn to wanting more, please help me to push Satan aside and turn to You.  You are all I need to satisfy me in this life on earth.  Thank You for reminding me of what is really important.  You.  I can be at rest and know peace with You.        
Scripture:   If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.  Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.  For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.  When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.  Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.  Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, in which yourselves once walked when you lived in them. Colossians 3:1-7
“Here is the man who did not make God his strength, But trusted in the abundance of his riches, and strengthened himself in his wickedness.”  But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God; I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever.  I will praise You forever, because You have done it; and in the presence of Your saints I will wait on Your name, for it is good.  Psalm 52:7-9

No comments:

Post a Comment