Thursday, February 7, 2013


My Favorite Shoes

God's first great design in all our trouble is that we might let go of self-confidence. When we do that, there is a temporary sense of falling. But by faith in God's mercy, we land, infinitely more secure, in the arms of our Father, who is utterly in control at the brink of life and death.  John Piper
I have a great pair of shoes.  They have high heels, are black, comfortable to wear all day and they look good with my black polka dot skirt, or so I think.  I know about now you are asking why I bring this up.  Glad you asked.

I was standing at the door to my closet this morning putting on my shoes.  I turned around to walk across the room and the heel of my left shoe got caught in the bow on the top of my right shoe.  I nearly killed myself trying to get my heel out of the bow before I did a face plant onto my bedroom floor.  My husband doesn’t know what he is missing when he is still asleep every morning. 
Well as these things happen when I jerked my left heel out of my right shoe to keep myself upright, it ripped the bow right off the top of my shoe.  So now I have a dilemma.  Do I stop and sew the bow back on or change shoes? 

These are my favorite shoes so yes, you guessed it, I pulled out the needle and thread and reattached the bow.  I take a look in the mirror to make sure nothing is out of place and then I head out the door. 
I decide to stop at the gas station on the way to work.  I start to get out of the car and the same left heel gets caught between the carpet and the frame of the car and I nearly did another face plant in front of the Quik Trip. 

I started thinking, wow, either these shoes are out to get me or maybe I just need to take a class on learning to walk in high heels.  (They have these classes on the internet including video.)  Maybe I should just stop wearing heels, but then I have done a carpet tumble in tennis shoes so I don’t think it makes much difference the type of shoe.
Anyway, as often happens I started thinking about God. In life there are pitfalls everywhere and even some pratfalls. There may be no one on earth to catch us when we blunder and fall but God is always there.  He is available 24/7 to pick us up and help us start again.  Too many times we fall into the trap of self-confidence instead of God-confidence.  So when I fall if I place my confidence in Him, He is there to lift me up.  

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, sometimes I am an accident looking for a place to happen.  I praise You for being there to catch me when I blunder and fall.  Your love is everlasting and I am amazed daily by your very presence in my life.      
Scripture:  Return to your rest, O my soul, for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you.  For You have delivered my soul from death, My eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.  I will walk before the Lord
In the land of the living. Psalm 116:7-9

No comments:

Post a Comment