Monday, February 11, 2013


Sales Call   

We are fit for the work of God only when we have wept over it, prayed about it, and then we are enabled by Him to tackle the job that needs to be done.  Alan Redpath
I received a sales call from the front desk this morning.  After many years of being an Executive Assistant you start to recognize the signs.  Today I get a call about health insurance.  Some of the people that call are masters at evasiveness.  They are quick to come up with a gray area.  

This lady calls sounding very official and abrupt because she is trying to get past me of course to my boss.  So she says, “I have important business to discuss with ________” and she uses my bosses full name.  So I play the game.  I ask her “What is the call regarding.”  She replies, “I need his approval for information related to his healthcare.”  So I say, “Are you trying to sell him health insurance?”  She says “No I am not selling anything.”  I clarified, “Are you selling insurance for someone else?”  This is where it gets interesting.  She starts speaking faster.  So fast that I couldn’t catch it all but it went something like this.  
“I am calling to inform him that he can receive a free comparison of healthcare insurance related to his current insurance and we will send it to him free of charge and I am just calling to notify him of this information and God bless you” then she hung up. The thing is she sounded angry when she said it.  In my estimation this was a sales call.  If they are trying to get someone to compare pricing that kind of tells me they are going to try to sell me something.

It bothers me sometimes the way some companies work.  This woman basically lied to try to get a quota.  Why else would she start speaking so fast so that I couldn’t ask another question?  They have sales people call a list of businesses and they have a written script that the caller is to use when making the call.  I guess they figure that the person on the other end of the phone will not realize that the person is reading a script. I was also kind of offended that she threw God into the mix of the conversation.  I mean I appreciate being blessed but I would like it to be sincere. 
Maybe this company has decided they can’t sell anything with the old script so if they call people and bless them maybe that will work to gain a sale.  I think the approach is all wrong.  Maybe if the company started with prayer at the beginning God might bless it without having to resort to subterfuge or blatant lying.  

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I would like Your blessing in everything I do but I need to remember that I must to come to You first before I do anything.  Meditating on your Word and making my requests known to you is a good first step.  Thank You for blessing me every day with Your presence.      
Scripture:   Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.  Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;  and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:5-7

No comments:

Post a Comment