Friday, February 1, 2013


Food Service

Our love to God is measured by our everyday fellowship with others and the love it displays.  Andrew Murray
I try to apply the character of God to every aspect of my life.  My husband and I were discussing the incident where the Pastor of a church went to a restaurant and when it came time to pay her bill an automatic tip was added to it.  The Pastor marked through the tip and wrote a note that said, “I give 10% to God.  Why should you get 18%?”  She then marked through the tip and signed her name. 

The story goes further in that after this was publicized on TV the Pastor called the restaurant complaining because it was hurting her ministry because people in her church recognized her signature.  The conclusion to this story, at least for now, is that the waitress was fired. 
Have you ever gotten to know your waiters at your favorite restaurants?  My husband and I go to some of the same restaurants all the time and we know all of the wait staff. When you truly get to know them they will tell you what goes on behind the scenes of being a waiter.  This is how it works.  The minimum wage for a waiter in Texas is $2.13/hour, with cash & tip minimum of $7.25.  So often if they don’t make any tips they get a check with a zero dollar amount because all of their check goes to pay taxes.  Many times they will get a party who stiffs them.  This means they don’t tip them at all.  Other times people will walk out on the whole bill.  Other times you have those who eat the whole meal and at the end they complain about the food so that the manager will comp the whole meal and these folks don’t tip at all. 

So you are a waiter and you are on your feet all day sometimes taking double shifts.  Many of the waiters that we know are young adults. More often than not they are college students paying their way through school, young single mothers trying to provide for their families, young men working two jobs to make ends meet when the ends keep getting further apart. 
So you have a Pastor come in who is supposed to be a person of God and who is held to a higher standard than the rest of us by virtue of their title.  I think what bothered me the most about this incident was that this makes it harder for Christians to make a stand for Christ.  The fact of the matter is that a non-Christian is going to see this highly publicized incident and think, “If this is what Christians are all about, I want no part of it.” Another thing that bothered me was this Pastor called the restaurant to complain about how this very public incident was affecting her ministry.  The fact of the matter is it was a choice this Pastor made that reflects her true character.  The Pastor in turn is trying to place the blame of her bad choices on a waiter who happened to serve her food and was following the policy of every restaurant I’ve ever been to, which is large parties are assessed an automatic 18% tip.  If you don’t like this policy you don’t have to eat there.

So I will close with this.  The next time you go out to dinner, think about why this waiter is there in the first place and make a point to get to know them. Take the time to think about what your waiter may have been through that day. They are God’s child just like the rest of us.  Would you want to face God on judgment day with this on your record?  

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I spend a lot of time in restaurants and I love my waiters.  There’s JoJo, Jesse, Shay, Taylor, Izzy, Ricochet, Jamie, Brittany, Aaron, Chad, Jeremy and Amber to name a few.  They are struggling to make a living just like the rest of us.  I pray that you will help me to reflect Your character so that they can come to know You as I do.         
Scripture:    Little children, I shall be with you a little while longer. You will seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come,’ so now I say to you.  A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.  By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:33-36

Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality. Romans 12:9-13


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment