Friday, February 22, 2013


Great Hair   

Real true faith is man's weakness leaning on God's strength. D.L. Moody
Samson was weak and a ladies man .  When I think about Samson I always think about the movie with Victor Mature as Samson in “Samson & Delilah” by Cecil B. DeMille.  Remember how Samson was this big muscle bound guy with long wavy hair.  If you go back and read the scriptures about him, it doesn’t say anything about him being pleasing to the eye or being a muscle bound hunk.  One of the descriptions we see of him is that “he grew and the Lord blessed him.”  It doesn’t say what he grew into.  All we know for sure is he had great hair and that the Angel of the Lord told his parents that “no razor shall come upon his head.”

We assume that he was strong.  In reality his strength came from the Spirit of the Lord not his great hair or big muscles.  The length of his hair was really his obedience to the instructions the Angel of the Lord gave him to not cut it. So what if we looked at this from God’s perspective.  How can God deliver the Israelites from the hand of the Philistines and at the same time show the Israelites the Lord’s great power?    
Would God be more believable to us if He sent a short, portly man with great hair to conquer the Philistines?  If they saw this guy rip a lion apart with his bare hands or slay a 1000 Philistines with the jawbone of a donkey, all while having great hair, would you think it was Samson’s abilities or God at Work.  I think it would be easier for me to believe it was God and not some portly man with great hair.

Have you figured out yet that God does the unexpected and uses the least likely to succeed in our estimation, to show the world Who He is? If you read the stories in the Bible of who God used to spread His Word, they weren’t the biggest, strongest or even the most popular.  In reality they were people just like you and me.      
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, You show me through the stories in the Bible of great things done by average men.  Please help me to see the stories in light of who You are and not by the standards of the world.  If I have faith in You then I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. 

Scripture:  Then Samson called to the Lord, saying, "O Lord God, remember me, I pray!  Strengthen me, I pray, just this once, O God, that I may with one blow take vengeance on the Philistines for my two eyes!"  And Samson took hold of the two middle pillars which supported the temple, and he braced himself against them, one on his right and the other on his left.  Then Samson said, "Let me die with the Philistines!"  And he pushed with all his might, and the temple fell on the lords and all the people who were in it. So the dead that he killed at his death were more than he had killed in his life.  Judges 16:28-30     

No comments:

Post a Comment