Thursday, July 26, 2012

Be Transparent

Your life is something opaque, not transparent, as long as you look at it in an ordinary human way.  But if you hold it up against the light of God's goodness, it shines and turns transparent, radiant and bright.  And then you ask yourself in amazement:  Is this really my own life I see before me?  ~Albert Schweitzer


Do you ever pay attention to the fine print in commercials?   I recently was watching a local one and my husband brought it to my attention.  He asked if I had ever read the fine print at the bottom.

Of course I said no, because the way the comercial is presented you literally have two seconds (we timed it), to read the fine (translate tiny) print before it is gone from the screen.  Well, our household lives somewhat in the technology age of DVR's so my husband, who by the way is the only one in our household who can work the TV remote, rewound it and stopped it to let me read the fine print.  

The big visible numbers on the screen showed that you could buy a car for under $100 but the fine print stated that after 6 months of paying the low amount, the payment amount would increase to the regular price until the end of the note.  

We live in a world that is not transparent.  If you ever listen to some of the commercials done by speed readers, they spend the last 10 seconds of the commercials telling you the parts that you won't like about whatever it is you are buying and they're speaking fast enough that you can't understand it all in the first place.  

The one thing that I can count on in this life to be transparent is God.  I don't have to ever wonder if he is the real thing, or if he loves me and I don't have to look for the fine print.  If you notice the Bible is written in the same size letters.  There is no hidden agenda, no fine print that will cheat you out of your salvation.  It's all there for anyone who cares to read it.  I also know that he can see everything about me, my thoughts, where my heart is, everything.  So really I am transparent to him as well.  What that means is that he can see the ugly parts as well as the good.  I want to be as transparent in my everyday life as God is with me. 

  
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding me that You can see my every thought, You know my heart, and You know when I am trying to hide from You.  I pray that You will help me to be as transparent as Jesus was because you see it all anyway.  I just think I am hiding but I am fooling myself.  Thank you for loving me enough to show me what it takes to live in eternity with You forever by being transparent.   

Scripture: Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.  This is why I speak to them in parables: “Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.  In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: "You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving. Matthew 13:12-14

No comments:

Post a Comment