Thursday, July 12, 2012

Hidden Masterpiece


There's nothing like self-improvement to get your friends to like you for who you were. ~Robert Brault


Alexandros of Antioch took a block of marble and chiseled away from it everything that was not his masterpiece, the Venus de Milo. If you will chisel away one fault from your character every day, you may discover -
a) that you're actually a statue of Margaret Thatcher.
b) that you're still just a block of marble.
c) that there are pigeon droppings on your shoes.
d) that you, too, are a hidden masterpiece.
~Robert Brault 



You are a masterpiece.  The definition of masterpiece is a person's greatest piece of work.  Do you realize that you are God's masterpiece?  There is only one you out of all the millions of people in the world and you are the only one just like you.  When I think about that it overwhelms me.  We each were created with a specific purpose in mind and no one else on earth is like us.  

What are the things in your character and mine that don't belong?  Are we that block of marble with no shape?  Are there pieces that need to be chipped away to unearth the masterpiece God intended us to be?  Part of the problem with unearthing the masterpiece is that we will chip away parts that others really like about us because who we are now is the us we want the world to see, not what God created us to be. 

I want to be everything God created me to be.  Sometimes that means others will not like the new me and they will want the return of the old me.  I don't want to be just a block of marble with pigeon droppings on my shoes.  I want to reveal that hidden masterpiece.    


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am Your handiwork and I want to be a Rembrandt or Picasso in Your eyes.  I understand that it will mean I must chip away at the things in my life that are keeping me from being the masterpiece your created me to be.  Help me Father to unearth this hidden treasure.   

Scripture:  Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”  So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. Genesis 1:26-28

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.  Ephesians 2:9-11



No comments:

Post a Comment