Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Running of the Bulls and Chasing the Cheese


If you run the bulls and chase the cheese there is a short circuit somewhere.  Brenda Edwards 


I was watching the news this morning and there was a story about the Running of the Bulls.  If you ever owned a bull you would never run with the bull.  We had cows and bulls when I was growing up.  I honestly can say I never considered running down a narrow street in front of a bull while people on the sidelines poked and prodded him.  I have done insane things in my time but that is not one of them.  I decided to see what started this rather insane tradition.  

Spanish tradition says the true origin began during the 14th century.  While transporting cattle in order to sell at the market, men would attempt to speed the process by hurrying their cattle using tactics of fear and excitement.  After years of this practice this turned into a competition as young adults attempted to race in front of the bulls and make it safely to their pens without being overtaken.  I am thinking this is the purpose of a trailer. 

Another rather unusual event is Chasing the Cheese.  In this event you stand at the top of a steep hill and a 7 pound roll of cheese is rolled down the hill and people chase it.  The best part about this event is if you catch the cheese you get to keep it.  Wow!  I can't wait to do that and get the opportunity at the same time to break an arm, leg or neck.  Why don't we have more competitions like this? 

I am thinking that God blessed me with a brain and expects me use it to gain wisdom and understanding, not to run before bulls and chase cheese.   If we spent half the amount of time learning God's wisdom think of what we could accomplish in our time here on earth. 

Prayer for the Day: Father, You promise me that if I turn my ear to wisdom and apply my heart to undertanding and cry aloud for understanding that I will fear you and find the knowledge of God.  I want Your wisdom.  Please keep my eyes on you so I don't become distracted by the crazy things of this world.

Scripture:   My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding--indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will undertand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.  For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.  He holds success in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the juust and protects the way of his faithful ones.   Proverbs 2:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment