Wednesday, July 25, 2012

God Shows Up

When you least expect it, God shows up.


If you are like me, the more you come to know Christ the more you see him in your everyday life.  Sometimes the issue we have is not looking for him everywhere and at all times. 

Several years ago I was struggling with an issue in my life and at the time I felt really alone.  It was lunch time and I walked over to the hospital to pick up a prescription and get lunch.  At the hospital where I worked there is an Interfaith Prayer Garden.  It is a circular area that is surrounded by fountains, trees, benches and the sound of birds.  The day was beautiful but my heart was heavy.  I decided to eat my lunch at one of the benches inside the garden.  I randomly selected a bench and went to sit down when I noticed a plaque attached to the back of the bench.  The plaque read “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13 

Isn’t this how God speaks to us when we least expect it.  In this single verse I found peace.  Sometimes when we don’t even realize we are searching for something from him he gives it to us.  The thing is you have to always be looking for him because sometimes he comes in a whisper.  Sometimes he won’t speak to us loud or with great fanfare.   I think too many times we expect that because God is who he is, he will always come to us in some large display so that all can see he is there.  I find that my most intimate moments with God are quiet and peaceful and that is when he speaks to me the loudest.
  
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, thank you for the times you speak to me in a whisper.  I pray that I will always be on the lookout for your presence in everything I do.  Help me not to miss the times you speak to me and open my ears so I will listen and keep my attention focused on you. 

Scripture: The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.”  Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind.  After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake.  After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire.  And after the fire came a gentle whisper.  When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.  Then a voice said to him, What are you doing here, Elijah?”  1 Kings 19:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment