Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Roadrunner

I don't think jogging is healthy, especially morning jogging.  If morning joggers knew how tempting they looked to morning motorists, they would stay home and do sit-ups.  ~Rita Rudner

 
Did you ever watch the cartoon "The Roadrunner"?  You had Wile Coyote who chased the roadrunner continuously.  Every time the coyote saw the Roadrunner, a bubble would pop up over his head showing him as his next meal.  Wile Coyote had a relentless need to catch the Roadrunner.  The problem was the roadrunner was faster and smarter.  Unfortunately the coyote was always trying to use some gizmo or gadget to catch the roadrunner and somehow it always backfired on him.  

It always makes me think of our lives on earth.  Instead of running this race of life as God would want, we are chasing everything here on earth with a relentless pursuit of things.  When one thing fails to capture our attention for long, we take off after another.  It is like an endless cycle of searching, failing, starting again and on and on it goes.  If we run the race that God has set before us, we will get the crown that will last forever.  I want to be in that race, not the one that the coyote runs that is filled with danger and failure.   

   
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am guilty of running this race on earth like the coyote, who chased the wrong things and failed over and over again.  I want to run the race to heaven where I will gain a lasting crown in eternity.  Help me to focus on You and run this race of life with persistence and help me to not be distracted by the everyday things that move me away from You. 

Scripture:  I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.  Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 1 Corinthians 9:24-25

No comments:

Post a Comment