Monday, July 2, 2012

Trials


They gave him a manger for a cradle, a carpenter's bench for a pulpit, thorns for a crown, and a cross for a throne. He took them and made them the very glory of his career. ~W.E. Orchard


I was at a farmer's market this weekend and ran into a gentleman and his wife whom I met several years ago.  Have you ever had the experience where you meet someone and you just know that person is blessed and will be a blessing to you?  There is that immediate connection that you just know if you see them again you will be able to pick up the conversation again as if that person never left.

One of the things that we have in common is we are both cancer survivors. When I first met him it was like I had known him for years.  He probably doesn't even realize how much he touches other people's lives.   As we stood talking as if we had just seen each other yesterday, I could literally feel God's presence.  We talked about how James is his favorite book in the Bible and as I stood there he quoted James 1:2-8. I just stood there in awe as he recited the verses word for word and I could see his love for God in his eyes.

I want to be like that.  I want to love the Lord with everything in me and reflect what this gentleman reflects when he talks about our Lord.  I also want to consider it pure joy when God decides to test my faith.  So many times I fail but I appreciate the individuals around me who bring me back to that place of God being first.  I want to not doubt our heavenly Father and it is people like Maurice who show me a glimpse of the Father.  Thank you Maurice for reflecting God's Light in a dark world.


Prayer for the Day: Father you place individuals on this earth who are angels in our midst.  Thank you for allowing us to see You through others if we are willing to set aside ourselves long enough to recognize them.  I thank you for Maurice who quoted Your Scripture to me so beautifully and showed me a glimpse of You. 

Scripture:   Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.    Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.  But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do. James 1:2-8 

No comments:

Post a Comment