Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Gladys Knight & the Pips

I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver


I will conclude my saga on the doves today.  My husband went to watch the baseball game with friends and I had errands to run after work so I declined to go with him.  When I arrived home I went to check on our birds.  

When I spoke with my husband earlier, he told me that we now had two baby birds back and also the mother.  I decided to name them for the duration until they move on to greener pastures and since I always liked Gladys Knight's music they are now Gladys Knight and the Pips.  

Well Gladys and the Pips had a problem.  The nest was destroyed.  There were only a few twigs left.  When I left yesterday morning part of the nest had fallen away and the baby was half hanging out of it with Gladys trying to hold him in by sitting on him.  Jerry's theory is that it is a natural progression for the mother to destroy the nest and kick the kids to the curb.  In other words, it's time to move out and get your own place. 

I am a softy at heart so I decided to build them a condo.  Just a temporary living space until they find something better. In other words I enabled them.  So I gathered up sticks, leaves, branches and other miscellaneous materials for my project.  I sat on the patio and built them a condo nest. 

By the time my husband came home I had gone inside to await Gladys and the Pips return to their new digs.  Jerry walked in laughing.  He said he looked over at the tree and thought a squirrel had moved in because there was no way Gladys could build a nest that big in an hour.  He knows me so well.  He immediately determined that his wife, (that would be me), had built the nest. 

Well I am sad to report that Gladys and the Pips have not returned.  I think they may be a little intimidated by the extravagant construction, or maybe they're disgusted with my construction abilities or lack thereof.  I for one am even more impressed with God's creation, because I don't know any other way that a bird with two legs and a beak can build a nest without string, duct tape and fingers. 
  

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am guilty of tuning out the very things that you provide for me to clearly see you.  Please help me to keep my focus on you and see you in everything around me.  I know I am stronger because of the beauty I see around me every day.  Thank you for Your tender mercies and the blessings that are everywhere I look if I will only tune in. 

Scripture:   The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.  For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.  Romans 1:18-21

No comments:

Post a Comment