Monday, July 16, 2012

The Dove


There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before. ~Robert Lynd


God touched me yesterday.  We have doves all around our house and in the early morning you can hear them cooing.  When I walk into my kitchen I can here them from the vent over my stove. 

We have a quince tree next to our patio and several weeks ago my husband and I were doing yard work and I was trimming a few dead branches off of the tree when we noticed a mother dove sitting on a nest in the branches of the tree.  We have a covered patio so we will often sit out on the patio in the evening. 

We were able to watch the mother bird build her nest.  My husband thinks she is a first time mother because she built a rather small nest but we thought God created her so she must know what she is doing.  So then a few weeks ago we saw the eggs.  Three to be exact.  So we watched her every evening as she sat through several bad rain storms.  Well last week we noticed three new babies.  Well as you can imagine baby birds start out tiny but they grow quickly.    

So we also watched as the babies got bigger the nest got smaller. Yesterday my husband went to check the nest and there was one baby and the mother in the nest so he checked around under the tree to see if any fell out because their accommodations had taken a beating with all the storms.  Well one baby had fallen out and was lying under the tree.  Jerry came into the house to tell me there was a baby dove on the ground. 

Well this wouldn't have bothered me so much if I didn't have a Shiba Inu (that's a Japanese dog) who by the way loves to hunt fowl.  Especially babies who fall out of the nest.  And he doesn't miss a thing that goes on in our yard.  So we locked the dog in the house and then I went to check on the bird.  When I walked near the tree the mother bird and one of the other babies flew out.  But this little guy on the ground couldn't fly yet. 

I have always heard that if you touch a baby bird the mother won't take him back.  Well I wasn't going to let this one be my dogs next meal.  So I went over and gently picked him up but when I went to put him back in the nest, it was pretty much falling apart.  Well, I have absolutely no skills at building nests.  So I kind of straightened the nest back up and then sat him back in it. 

So Jerry and I sat on the patio keeping an eye on our dove baby to see if it's mother would come back for him.  In a little while she flew in and landed on the storage building behind our house and she sat perched up there watching us and watching her baby.  We decided to go back inside and keep checking on the nest.  A short while later she was back but there wasn't much room for the two of them so she was sitting on top of him. 

As we sat watching this I thought about what an amazing God we have. He created this dove and it knows what it needs to do to survive.  It can learn to fly, build a nest and lay eggs.  It can raise its young in a week and send them out on their own. How amazing is that? All we have to do is look at nature and we will see God's hand at work.  

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, You created so many amazing things on this earth that we take for granted.  Your handiwork is all around us every day and often we overlook it for other pursuits.  Help me to slow down and appreciate what you created.  I praise you for what you created and for helping me to see it as something that only You could do. 

Scripture: After forty days Noah opened a window had made in the ark and sent our a raven, and it kept flying back and forth until the water had dried up from the earth.  Then he sent out a dove  to see if the water had receded from the surface of the ground.  But the dove could find nowhere to perch because there was water all over the surface of the earth; so it returned to Noah in the ark.  He reached out his hand and took the dove and brought it back to himself in the ark.  He waited seven more days and again sent out the dove from the ark.  When the dove returned to him in the evening, there in its beak was a freshly plucked olive leaf!  Then Noah knew that the water had receded from the earth.  He waited seven more days and sent the dove out again, but this time it did not return to him. Genesis 8:6-12

No comments:

Post a Comment