Monday, August 13, 2012

Character



A good character is the best tombstone.  Those who loved you and were helped by you will remember you when forget-me-nots have withered.  Carve your name on hearts, not on marble.  ~Charles H. Spurgeon


What does our character say about us?  When you think about it, even when we don't say a word we are speaking to others through our character.  Some qualities of character include honesty, courage and integrity.  It means living life knowing God is watching and can see it all.  He knows the motive behind whatever we do.  When I stop and think of all the things I've done in my life that lacked honesty or integrity it makes me sad and ashamed.  For so long in my life I lived like God couldn't see what I was doing.  

It takes concious effort on our part to remember that God does see it all and knows it all.  I honestly praise God for allowing me to get cancer because it turned my life around.  It made me think before I act and it made me see Him clearly for the first time in my life.  It was what I consider my "saving grace".  I pray that one day when I die, God's name will be carved on many hearts because my character reflected Him.    


Prayer for the Day:  Heavenly Father, there are still times when my character needs work.  I need your help to keep me going in the right direction.  Thank you for being the loving Father that you are and for showing me grace and mercy when I didn't deserve it.  Sometimes you build my character by the challenges of this life.  Thank you for loving me enough to teach me through the trials.  

Scripture:  Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,  through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.  Not only so, but we  also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.   And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.  Romans 5:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment