Monday, August 20, 2012

Lawn Chair Balloonists


There is an art, or rather a knack to flying.  The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.  ~Douglas Adamsere


Just when I think I have heard it all, along comes another wacky weird story.  Two guys decided to go lawn chair ballooning over Oregon. Now that is weird in itself but they decided they were going to fly from one guys gas station in Oregon to Montana.  The problem was they were 14,000 feet in the air when a storm blew in.  The storm popped 10 of the helium party balloons all at once but the wind took them higher and then they starting descending really fast. 

If you don't know anything about lawn chair ballooning, you take your Red Ryder BB gun (I kid you not) and shoot balloons to make the craft (if you can call it that) descend.  This was for a warmup so they could take another voyage to fly over Iraq. That flight was scrubbed because they failed to get government clearance in Iraq's airspace.  You think!  I don't know about you but last I heard there was shooting going on over in Iraq and do you think someone over there might take exception to a red, white and blue unrecognizable aircraft.  

Sometimes we humans can come up with some really dumb stuff and we actually spend valuable time at it.  Time that could be spent in better ways I think.  I often wonder what God thinks of us sometimes.  I know he loves each one of us, but sometimes I think it must be hard.  He created us in His image and then we do stupid stuff and he has to get frustrated and angry with us.  All I do know is I don't want to meet my Maker after having fallen 14,000 feet in a balloon propelled lawn chair.    

Prayer for the Day:  Father, thank you for your grace and mercy as well as your patience.  I do stupid things sometimes even when I know better and yet you still continue to love me.  I pray that the time I invest on this earth is for your glory and that I will think before I do something stupid.
    
Scripture: Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!” He said, “Go and tell this people:“‘Be ever hearing, but never understanding; be ever seeing, but never perceiving.’ Make the heart of this people calloused; make their ears dull and close their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and turn and be healed.” Isaiah 6:8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment