Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Designer Brand Name


Our clothes are too much a part of us for most of us ever to be entirely indifferent to their condition: it is as though the fabric were indeed a natural extension of the body, or even of the soul. ~Quentin Bell


I watch the news every morning before work and as always, I see something on the news that catches my eye.  Did you know there is a designer who has created a paper lunch bag for the bargain price of $290?  I almost choked on my coffee. 

There is nothing special about this bag except that it comes in two colors, black and paper bag brown, it is coated with a wax coating to keep your lunch from leaking through and it comes with a “designer label”. 

This started me thinking about designer labels.  Why do we put so much value in someone’s name on a label?  Sometimes you will see a designer item and it is just downright ugly.  But there will be someone who will buy it for the name alone and it is even better if it has the logo printed where everyone can see it.  Then people will know that you own something from that designer.  The thing is that designer didn’t necessarily make that item.  Some assembly line somewhere in some big factory created thousands more just like it so you are not the only one that has that exact same color, style and size.  If you have enough money you can get one made by the designer personally for you that will be the only one created.  When this happens we have to be ready to shell out the big bucks.

Why is it that the God who created the universe and everything in it doesn’t get top billing in the designer business?  Why are we so willing to spend fortunes on worldly designers when the Heavenly Designer is available for free?  The God who created us into a living breathing, blood pumping, walking, talking human form is not the most sought after designer in town.  What a designer he is?  Every one of us is unique.  There is not a big factory somewhere creating duplicates just like each of us.  So when you walk out today, you can choose to have the most important label known to mankind printed on you.  The thing is you will have to follow God for anyone else to see it. 


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, You created me as a one of a kind.  There will not be a duplicate anywhere in the world that will be exactly like me.  I praise You for Your amazing creation.  How can I ever repay the love You have for me a sinner?  I can’t, but I can learn to follow You.  Help me to wear Your label everywhere I go so that others may see Your Glory too.


Scripture:  So I said: “Do not take me away, my God, in the midst of my days; your years go on through all generations.  In the beginning you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment. Like clothing you will change them and they will be discarded.  But you remain the same, and your years will never end. The children of your servants will live in your presence; their descendants will be established before you.” Psalm 102:24-28

No comments:

Post a Comment