Thursday, August 23, 2012

Consequences


Wisdom is the quality that keeps you from getting into situations where you need it.  ~Doug Larson

There are consequences for everything we do in life.  If we speed there is often a consequence and if we are stopped by the police the consequence is an expensive ticket.  If we decide to drink and drive there can also be a consequence in that we may be taken to jail or worse we could hit another person and take a life and there are dire consequences.  If we cheat on an exam in school there are consequences.  If we rob a bank the consequence is jail.  If we lie to someone the consequence is broken trust and the sad reality is that person may never be able to trust again. 

There are even more critical consequences if we decide to disobey and sin.  It is not just a matter of some worldly punishment.  It can mean the difference in where we spend eternity.  The older I get the more I think about the consequences in everything I do in this life.  I think when we are young we have a tendency to think we are invincible.  We think we will live forever and if we have any Bible knowledge at all, we think of eternity as a far off time that we can worry about later.  The problem is, later may some sooner than we think.  It could be today, before lunch or even right now.

I would like the consequences of my life on earth to be that God turns to me and says “welcome home” and “well done good and faithful servant.”     

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, there are consequences to everything we do in life and they are based on the choices we make on a daily basis.  I pray that you will help me make the right decisions so that my choices are based on what you would have me do. 

Scripture: I will praise the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.  Do not put your trust in princes, in human beings, who cannot save.  When their spirit departs, they return to the ground; on that very day their plans come to nothing.  Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord their God.  Psalm 146:2-5

No comments:

Post a Comment