Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Sorry or Not



Never does the human soul appear so strong as when it forgoes revenge, and dares forgive an injury.  ~E.H. Chapin


I was listening to a song this morning by Tenth Avenue North.  The song is about forgiveness.  This is one of the most difficult things for me to do in my life.  Forgiving someone who has hurt me.  There are times when I can’t even comprehend how someone can forgive another person for murdering one of their family members or a drunk driver killing a person's child.   
It takes an amazing heart to do that kind of forgiveness and I often think that my heart is just not big enough.  If it came down to me losing a family member due to someone being careless or just not caring for human life, that is a whole lot of forgiveness.  
The thing is we are called to forgive even if the other person is sorry or not and 70 times 7 times.  Do you realize that would be 490 times?  That is alot of forgiving.  This made me think about God and how he must have felt knowing that he had control over whether his only Son would die on the cross or not, and then choosing to allow it to happen for the rest of us on this earth who don’t really deserve it.   God gave us a perfect example of what forgiveness means.   
The heart is an amazing muscle.  It is the center of emotion whereas our head is the center of our intellect.  The problem is our head tells us to seek revenge and it is compounded by the fact that our heart is filled with emotion.  I pray daily that I can get them both on the same page. I am still working on it. 
  

Prayer for the Day:  Heavenly Father, I am so guilty of not forgiving others.  How can I serve you with reverence if I am not able to forgive those you love?  It is not possible to praise and worship you wholeheartedly if I am unforgiving.  Please Father, help me to see past the anger and hurt and love others as You love me.  There is no greater love than Yours.     

Scripture:  If you, Lord, kept a record of sins, Lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness, so that we can, with reverence, serve you.  I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope.  Psalm 130:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment