Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Doubting Thomas


Faith is like radar that sees through the fog.  Corrie Ten Boom, Tramp for the Lord


Have you ever felt in the very pit of your stomach that God was asking you to do something?  It is like a never ending thought that just won’t go away and just when you think you have forgotten it, the thought comes to you again. 

Most of the time when this happens it is when you least expect it and whatever it is that God is asking you to do is way outside your comfort level.  That is when we start questioning God to see it he is really serious, because you start thinking about how far outside of your scope of ability this request is and then you start doubting.

When Jesus was crucified and resurrected, he came back and appeared before the disciples.  Thomas was one of the few who did not see Jesus the first time he appeared and he told the others that he would not believe unless he could see the nail marks in Jesus’ hands and put his finger where the nails had been.  Thomas doubted the other disciples and he also doubted that Jesus had risen from the dead. 

Later in this story Jesus said “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”  Thomas had the opportunity to see the real thing, Jesus resurrected.  We on the other hand have not seen him in person so we are called to believe even when we can’t see or touch the nail scars in His hands.  It takes faith to see when there is nothing there, and belief when you are not able to touch or talk to the Savior in person. I would like to have the faith of Noah or Abraham who both stepped out in amazing faith at the risk of great loss.      

 
Prayer for the Day: Father, I am guilty of doubting and often will question when you ask me to step out in faith.  Abraham is one of the best examples of faith.  When in his old age you asked him to sacrifice his son, he didn’t wait.  He made preparations to follow You in faith.  I pray that you will help me to build a faith like that so that when You ask me I will not hesitate.  

Scripture:   Now Thomas , one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came.  So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”  A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them.  Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!”  Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands.  Reach out your hand and put it into my side.  Stop doubting and believe.”  Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”  Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”  John 20:24-29

No comments:

Post a Comment