Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Spider's Web


Sin can catch us in its web.


Growing up in the country gave us plenty of opportunity to see nature up close and personal.  We had twenty acres of land behind our house that we explored on weekends and during the summer.  One of the things I loved to do was to saddle up one of our horses and ride on the trails through the woods.  While riding on the trails we would often come across giant spider webs strung across the trail from one side to the other.  We had what they call wood spiders.  Now if you have never seen a wood spider I will try to describe one for you.

These spiders were about the size of a small saucer with big bodies and long legs.  They didn’t bite or at least I don't think they did, because there were times I almost fell off the horse trying to get away from them.  I think I was more of a danger to myself than the spider. As soon as I got caught in the web, fear took over.  Arms were flailing while you’re searching for the spider whose home you just wrecked.  I hate spiders so you can imagine what it was like to be riding along enjoying the scenery, and all of a sudden you are in the middle of the web and the spider is there too and my first thought was always is he on my head or in my hair.  Growing up in the country had its benefits but this wasn't one of them.   

Isn’t that what happens when we allow Satan into our lives.  He snares us up in his web of lies and deceit and we struggle to get out.  And he sits there like the spider waiting to devour us.  Our only hope is to stand firm in faith.  Satan is constantly on the lookout for more victims.  The problem is it is so easy to get into the web but so much harder to get out. Take the time to get to know God and he will free you from Satan’s web that ensnares you.


Prayer for the Day:  Father, my life is sometimes like the spider and the web.  It is so easy for me to get caught up in but much harder to get out and Satan lies in wait for me to fail.  Please surround me with your presence and give me strength to fight the evil around me. 

Scripture:  Be self- controlled and alert.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of suffering. 1 Peter 5:8-9 

No comments:

Post a Comment