Monday, August 6, 2012

Curiosity Landed



Man is the animal that intends to shoot himself out into interplanetary space, after having given up on the problem of an efficient way to get himself five miles to work and back each day.  ~Bill Vaughan


 

I watched the news this week when the Curiosity landed on Mars.  Of course it started me thinking which is sometimes a dangerous thing.  The United States spent something like 2.5 billion to land a small car sized vehicle on Mars to determine if there was ever life on the planet.  It is nuclear-powered and packed with expensive equipment.  This was not our first try at this either.  We have several other pieces of the same type of equipment on Mars but they bounced instead of softly landing and when you are talking about something that weighs almost a ton and is traveling at 21,000km/h the potential for a crash is pretty good.  

I applaud the scientists and engineers who were able to make this happen because it took knowledge and creativity and many things that God blessed humans with on earth.  But I have a question.  We spend billions of dollars trying to determine if there ever was life on another planet.  Why are we constantly searching for life somewhere else?  We want to know is there other life on other planets or will we be able to travel to those other planets and live on a space station created by man. 

I don't know about you but I don't put as much faith in man as I do God.  I think God has a perfect plan and my personal opinion, for what it is worth, is that at the rate our world is going right now, I think God's patience with us is wearing thin.  I also believe that God is coming again and it won't matter whether we are living here or on Mars.  I want to spend every moment I can here on earth focused on where I plan to spend eternity, not looking for another place to live.   


Prayer for the Day:  Father, you give each of us talents in this world.  I want to use whatever talents you gave me to bring others to heaven so that they can meet you face to face.  I pray that you will give me the opportunity to do that and I pray that the resources you provide will be used for that purpose.   

Scripture:  Your word, Lord, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens. Your faithfulness continues through all generations; you established the earth, and it endures.  Your laws endure to this day, for all things serve you.  If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction.  I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have preserved my life.  Psalm 119:89-93

No comments:

Post a Comment